Hi guys! There’s been a fair amount of progress in the kitchen, now that we’re starting to get some of the big jobs done. On Tuesday we got a plasterer in to fix up the walls and flatten the ceiling (we had a lovely 90s patterned Artex ceiling in there…). We waited all week for it to dry, so that we could seal it with some watered down paint. FYI, fresh plaster looks like melted chocolate.
When this weekend rolled around, we got busy with the paintbrushes. Once plaster is PROPERLY dry, it goes all pink and powdery. That’s when you need to make sure to seal it well, otherwise the plaster will suck out any water content of the paint and the paint will dry patchy or the plaster will crack. We used Dulux Light and Space mixed roughly 50/50 with water. I guess you could use cheaper paint, but the Light and Space is what we’ve used on ceilings everywhere, so we had a fair bit floating around. Also, if we ended up with a half used tin of trade pure brilliant white, it would never get used. First coat dried really quickly-no surprises there, as the plaster absorbed most of the water, so we were throwing up a second coat in no time. We did the same again, 50/50 mix. We left this to dry for a few hours whilst we did some more cabinet building. The kitchen was looking pretty bright at this point, but just got super fancy when we rollered on the final coat of ‘real’ paint onto the ceiling. Pure, undiluted Absolute White Light and Space. ‘Twas a thing of beauty.
Check out all the beautiful brightness going on there. Over the last two days I’ve assembled all the wall cabinets, except the one for the extractor fan, as the instructions for that appear to have been written by an utter sadist. I’ve put the drawer fronts on the drawer units, fitted the oven into the oven housing and built one of those funky little wire pull out drawer cabinets. We also managed to get the fridge and freezer back into the real kitchen, which means I can now open the fridge again! When the fridge was stacked atop the freezer in the ‘nursery’, it was against a wall and opened the wrong way, and with this baby permanently attached to my front, there physically wasn’t room for me to open the door. HAHAHA. HILARIOUS.
Sneaky little look at how the kitchen will eventually come together. Unfortunately I took the picture late last night whilst so tired, but it is a small beacon of hope in the sea of neverending kitchen woe. The kind of woe that has had my living room looking like this since BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
Soon. Soon it will be over and I’ll have a fancy-pants kitchen and I’ll never leave it. It’s my birthday next week and I’m having some people come over, so before then I’ll need to have straightened out the lounge at least. The wall cabinets went up this afternoon, but they will need to come down again in the week so that I can paint the walls in the kitchen, and then the cabinets can be straightened and fixed up properly. We’re a little closer to the finish, but given Ikea would have charged over £3k to fit the kitchen, I don’t mind that it’s taking a little while!